Magento 1 VS Magento 2: A Wise Decision to Migrate
Officially, Magento 1 is nearing its end of life with June 30, 2020, being the last date after which the platform will no longer be supported by Magento updates, quality fixes, and documentation support. If you are still on Magento 1, it is time to move to Magento 2. If you are not too sure of what it all means – what are Magento 2 features and benefits, how to go about it, and if this is going to be a wise move or not; then, you are at the right place, for we are here to guide you.
It goes without saying that Magento 2 has been designed with features to resolve the drawbacks of Magento 1. In this writeup here, we will look at the benefits of Magento 2, how it is better than Magento 1 and the process of migration.
Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration – Process and Benefits
Magento 2 comes with a whole lot of newer features that facilitate enhanced performance as well as have vital security enhancements that are certain to make your website and eCommerce store more innovative and powerful.
It is important to mention here that there are very limited agencies and developers who are experienced in Magento 2 store development and migration. It is therefore important to research well and then choose a leading agency with core expertise in Magento web development and Magento eCommerce development for migration.
These are the multiple benefits why this is the right time to shift to Magento 2.
1. Improved performance leading to enhanced customer satisfaction
Since online customers are perpetually seeking faster loading speeds, Magento 2 has been equipped to do so. Site performance was one of the key reasons behind the release of the new version.
Magento 2 has a faster frontend element compared to Magento 1.
- A Magento 2 store or site loads at least 30% to 50% faster than the Magento 1 store or site.
- A Magento 2 store is capable of processing at least 39% more orders per hour vis-à-vis Magento 1 store.
- Also, a Magento 2 store has the capacity to handle up to 10 million views every hour compared to only 200,000 of Magento 1.
- The checkout process in this latest version is much more streamlined than Magento 1. It is at least 38% faster than the previous one. This directly leads to better customer experience.
2. Enhanced technicalities leading to optimized backend workflow
Magento 1 was not futuristic enough to take into consideration the challenges of modern-day online businesses. Hence, an innovative update was essential that came in the form of Magento 2. This version addresses the innovative needs of 2020 in the form of speed, enhanced UX and UI, Voice Search, lean application, Artificial Intelligence and more.
- Store owners and admin do not need to have advanced technical expertise.
- It supports advanced versions of PHP.
- Supports new versions of IT architecture like MySQL, PHP, CLI, and more.
- Comes with a user-friendly admin dashboard, seamless navigation with a simple design.
- Easy and fast installation and updations of Magento extensions.
- Split database that keeps the load on the admin and users to the minimal.
- A simplified way to upload product details, videos, and photos.
- Admin can keep track of an individual customer’s past history and accordingly send information about new offers.
- With an interactive and user-friendly front-end, Magento 2 development of store and website can make them more optimized for search engines.
3. Security features
This is the foremost Magento 2 features and benefits why it is important to immediately migrate to Magento 2. As Magento 1 nears its end, there are bound to be attacks and increased vulnerabilities of your e-store and site after 30th June 2020. Other than that, Magento 2 has been developed keeping in mind the security requirements of online businesses and their customers.
- It has a failsafe and robust architecture;
- Has strengthened SHA-256 password-related algorithms;
Before proceeding with the migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2, lookout for an experienced and proficient Magento eCommerce development Company. The Official Magento Migration Documentation carries the detailed process of migration and should be referred to.
The migration happens in four phases:
1. Theme Migration
Since you cannot migrate your old theme to Magento 2, use the expertise of a skilled Magento web development company for creating new themes or change the current ones. The new themes can be made as user-friendly as possible.
2. Extension Migration
Install the required Magento 2 extensions from the Magento marketplace. Do not think of using the extensions of the previous version.
3. Customizations Migration
Using the Code Migration Toolkit, you can migrate some of your existing Magento 1 codes to the new platform. However, because of structural differences, there will be additional work required where a specialist agency with Magento 2 development skills will be able to help.
4. Data Migration
Now, all your data needs to be moved to Magento 2. With the help of Magento 2 Data Migration Tool, this can be done seamlessly. The tool facilitates the automatic migration of all data and settings from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
- To proceed with data migrations, download the Magento 2 Data Migration Tool. Ensure that the version of the Magento 2 platform and the Data migration tool is compatible.
- You will require the developer authentication keys to install and use the tool.
- You now need to run the mapping and configuration files to proceed with the migration.
- First, you need to migrate the settings and then migrate the data using the Data Migration Tool.
As is evident, the migration process from Magento 1 to Magento 2 requires technical know-how about Magento 2 development. There are commands and scripts that need to be run and written which only experienced and professional developers and Magento eCommerce development agencies will be able to carry out for best results. Therefore, not only should you expedite the process of migration of your Magento 1 store to Magento 2 at the earliest, but for a Website development services company in India you should also look at hiring specialists like AvyaTech for the job.